Located in the heart of the Alps, by a beautiful mountain lake, the Slovenian town of Bled combines outdoor activity possibilities, romantic scenery and a well connected location. You will remember the perfect composed landscape, featuring the emeraude lake, the tiny island, a castle and the Alps in the background.
This is the perfect break if you are close to city and museum indigestion on your Eastern Europe trip!
What to do in Bled
- Bled is an excellent base for outdoor activities: bike, rent a canoe, go rafting, hiking…
- A more lazy but totally acceptable option is to just sunbath by the lake and to swim in its crystal clear waters.
- Want to take a short walk? It takes 1h30 to go around the lake by feet.
Where to stay
Bled has lots of accommodation possibilities, within different price range. Note that the place gets really busy in summer (July-August) so booking is a good choice if you are travelling during that period.
We choose the budget option and camped on the Ouest side of the lake. The camping is ideally located -directly by the lake- and with clean facilities. There is also a small supermarket next to the camping. It served perfectly our purposes i.e. a stop over for less than 24h. However, it was really crowded: we didn’t book and managed to fit our small tent but we were really close to our neighbours.
Camping Bled, Kidričeva 10C, Bled.
13euros/person in July/August. Opens from April to October
Bled in one afternoon and one evening
If you are staying on the Ouest side of the lake, go to the town for a nice regional diner. You can walk to the town by the North side of the lake, it will take you around 45min.
Then you will enjoy a nice digestive walk along the South side of the lake. At night Bled castle is lighten up which adds to the magic scenery. There are some lights on the path around the lake, but some areas are a bit dark, you may want to carry a flash lamp.
How to get there
- Public transportation: 1h15 by bus or 1h by train from Ljubljana,
- By car: 45 min from Ljubljana, 2h from Zagreb, 3h30 from Munchen, making it an ideal stop on your Eastern Europe roadtrip
You may also like Scenic drive along the Neretva River, Bosnia